Decayed tooth giving severe toothache?
Root Canal Therapy (also known as Endodontic treatment) can save your tooth severely damaged by decay, infection or trauma. Instead of losing your natural tooth, you can discuss a root canal treatment plan with our dentist at Leumeah Dental Surgery. One myth about the procedure is it’s painful! Contrary to this, Root Canal Treatment (RCT) is the most preferred treatment approach and the most performed dental treatment for a decayed tooth.
What is Root Canal?
Just like any part of our body, our tooth has nerves and blood vessels in the deepest area of the tooth – known as the pulp. When dental decay or caries reaches the pulp of your tooth, that is when you experience pain. If the tooth is left untreated for a long time, the infection can deteriorate the pulp & nerve within the tooth, which may cause these symptoms:
- Severe tooth pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold
- Bad breath
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Discolour of tooth or spots on a tooth
The key purpose of the Root Canal Treatment is to remove the infectious pulp from the tooth’s Root Canal (now you know why this treatment is called Root Canal Therapy!), disinfect and filled the canal with a material to restore the crown portion of the tooth to its original form.
Possible Symptoms indicating a need for Root Canal Treatment
Generally, if your tooth has cavity, decay, infection or any other damage-causing severe toothache, sensitivity, bad breath or unpleasant taste in the mouth, then the treatment can help you to restore your oral health. However, please consider contacting us to discuss your condition with our qualified Dentist at Leumeah Dental Surgery as diagnosis & treatment must be carried by the qualified professional only.
Benefits of A Root Canal Treatment
- Relief of pain and discomfort
- Prevent further spreading of infection to other teeth
- Retain & Rejuvenate health of your original tooth
- Enjoy hot, cold, chewy, hard food without worrying about sensitivity.
- Bring the shiny smile back on!
*all above-mentioned benefits may depend on overall oral health and may differ based on any other existing health condition.
Any Alternate treatments?
A dental implant may be an alternative for the replacement of decayed teeth. Though expensive, implants are near natural, provide great aesthetics, and are a permanent solution.
What you need to know
How long the appointment takes?
Usually, the treatment takes a couple of visits.
- The first visit is usually the consultation, diagnosis and creating a treatment plan. X-Ray of the impacted tooth is necessary for an accurate diagnosis.
- Based on complexity (or simplicity) of your situation, it may take several (or just one!) appointment to clean & disinfect the canals.
- The final visit should be to fill the canal (or prepare a crown in case there is a significant loss of tooth structure)
What do you need to prepare for your appointment?
No special preparation is required.
Arrive at the clinic at least 15 minutes before the appointment.
What extra care you may need to take after the treatment?
Avoid excessive hot/cold food between your appointments
Avoid chewy and hard food during & after the treatment as the treated tooth tends to be brittle and my fracture in absence of a crown.